In August of 1996, Baker School District 5J promoted mutual understanding and friendship between the people of the District of Zeya, of Amur, and Baker County. They supported the development of a student exchange program to enhance the international awareness in each community for primary and secondary students.
On the same year, Baker County & Baker City established a Sister City Agreement with Zeya District & City of Zeya, Russia.
"SISTER CITY/REGION AGREEMENT
Between: ZEYA DISTRICT AND THE CITY OF ZEYA, RUSSIA
BAKER COUNTY AND THE CITY OF BAKER CITY, UNITED STATES OF AMERICA
WHEREAS, Zeya District and the City of Zeya, and Baker County and the City of Baker City, herein after "the parties" share many similar features in their geographic, economic social structures and historic development; and
WHEREAS, the parties share similar industrial bases such as: gold mining, timber, power production, agriculture, hunting; and
WHEREAS, the parties share similar historic roles in the development of their respective regions; and
WHEREAS, the parties desire to promote mutual understanding and friendship between the people of Zeya District and the City of Zeya, and Baker County and the City of Baker City; and
WHEREAS, the economic support base and some traditions of the parties are of interest to each other and have many similar characteristics; and
WHEREAS, further friendly ties and mutual understanding can lead to increased commerce between the regions;
THEREFORE, it is hereby declared by representatives of the parties, this agreement being to establish a Sister City/Region relationship. The parties will each designate a representative assuming primary responsibility for facilitating the activities outlined within the terms of this agreement;
FOR THE PURPOSED OF:
- Facilitating cultural exchanges to build stronger understanding between the parties, and their people;
- Exchange delegations of the parties, specialists in different branches of industry, education and culture, tourist groups, amateur art groups, sportsmen, literature and art professionals;
- Develop educational exchanges to enhance the international awareness in each city, particularly for high school students;
- Exchange of information on city life and local government activities with the purpose of sharing experience in municipal economic development, industry, education, health care, social maintenance, trade, culture, sports and so on;
- Encourage commerce and technological assistance to develop parties' industries.
Considering friendly relations between the parties as one of the factors for mutual understanding and peaceful cooperation on the basis of mutual wishes of Zeya District and the City of Zeya, Russia, and Baker County and the City of Baker City, U.S.A., citizens to contribute to the improvement of Russian – American relationships. The official representatives of the parties put their names to this agreement for the purpose of establishing exchange programs in the social sphere between the parties."